Walk-in tours are offered Tuesday - Sunday. All four floors are available. Appointments welcome. In October all tours are first come first served.
1st Floor (45 min)
Learn about the pioneers of humane treatment for the mentally ill while visiting the first two wards for the patients and see the Civil War Section of the hospital. Hear about the gold robbery that helped West Virginia become a state and how being a border state affected the area.
All 4 Floors plus the first floor of the Medical Center
All of the first floor tour experience plus, step back in time to the 1935 fire that destroyed 4 wards of the Asylum. Visit the doctors' apartments, nurses quarters, Ward F where the most deviant of patients were kept, and explore the first floor of the Medical Center. Learn the history of medical treatments performed in asylums as well as how this facility helped the local community through two wars and the depression.
The Civil War Tour (75 minutes)
Celebrate the West Virginia Civil War Sesquicentennial at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. Step back in time on this walking tour of the Asylum and the grounds. The historic community holds fascinating stories of Civil War raids, gold robberies, and remarkable citizens. Trace the footsteps of men who went on to lead our country as presidents. Identified on the Civil War Trails map as a vital location during the conflict, this is an excellent stop on a state wide Civil War excursion.
This tour is an excellent companion to our Four Floor Historic Tour.
Tour Availability subject to weather conditions.
Historic Tours Include
- The history of the treatment of the insane prior to state run facilities as well as the people instrumental in improving that treatment.
- The nationwide influence of the Kirkbride Theory.
- The effects the Civil War had on the construction of the oldest parts of the hospital, "The Civil War section." (First time ever seen on tour)
- The architectural history of the facility.
- The socioeconomic influence of the facility throughout history, including both World Wars and the Depression Era.
- Facts and features unique to the hospital.
- Medical procedures used throughout the years and much more!
(02/09, 04/26, 07/13, 09/07, 11/02)
The photography tours allow you entry to the interiors of the Kirkbride, the Medical Center, Geriatric building, exteriors of all buildings, and the grounds. These will be a semi guided tours without historic information. Check in for the photography tour is ½ hour before the start time. Please dress appropriately for the weather.
Morning Photo Tour - $100 (8:00 am to 12:00 p.m.)
Evening Photo Tour - $100 (1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Both - $150
Need more information? Please call 304-269-5070.